Sweet Potatoes – Healthy and Indulgent!
Check out This Month’s Super Food – Sweet Potatoes!
Sweet potatoes are not only delicious and readily available, they have real health benefits. First, they are a terrific source of fiber, not to mention vitamins and minerals such as Vitamins A, C, Potassium, Manganese, Vitamin B6, and Pantothenic acid (Vitamin B5). If that weren’t enough, they are rich in antioxidants, promote gut health, and much more (they may even help in the fight against cancer).
Roasted Poblano Peppers & Sweet Potato Tostadas
- 3 poblano peppers, chopped in ½-inch pieces (about 2 ½ cups)
- 1 large sweet potato, chopped in ½-inch pieces (about 3 cups)
- 1 Tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- ½ Tablespoon onion powder
- ½ Tablespoon fine sea salt
- 6 + corn tortillas
- Fresh lime juice, chopped avocado, extra chili powder and any other toppings you like
- Preheat the oven to 415 degrees. Line a large sheet pan with parchment paper (not foil, veggies will stick).
- Place the sweet potato pieces into a large bowl and the chopped poblanos into a separate medium-sized bowl.
- In a small bowl or cup, combine the garlic powder, chili powder, onion powder and salt. Mix well with a fork.
- Pour only halfof the spice mix over the potatoes and the other half over the poblano peppers. Toss both bowls well with a spoon to evenly coat the vegetables.
- Spread out onlythe potatoes evenly onto the pan. (They take twice as long to cook as the peppers, so you’ll be adding the peppers after 15 minutes.)
- Roast the potatoes for 15 minutes, remove from the oven, and add the prepared peppers tossing them with the potatoes.
- Place the pan back in the oven and roast another 15 minutes. Vegetables should be completely cooked by this point.
- Turn the oven to broil for 2-3 minutes just to crisp up and brown the potatoes. Watch closely so they don’t burn. Remove from the oven
- For the tostadas, simply place the corn tortillas (however many you want to serve) in the oven for just a couple of minutes to crisp up. Your oven should still be warm and this will only take a minute or so for them to crisp up.
- To serve: Place the tostadas on a plate and add the potato/poblano pepper mixture on top of each one that you are serving. Garnish with freshly squeezed lime juice and chopped avocado or any other toppings you like.
*Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free, lowfat