Greek Yogurt, the Great Stand-In
Why go Greek? In the yogurt world, plain, nonfat Greek yogurt is a superstar. There are so many reasons; let us count the ways. Like other yogurts, Greek yogurt is a great source of calcium, potassium, protein, zinc, and vitamins B6 and B12. Greek yogurt has the added benefits of probiotic cultures, lower lactose levels, and twice the protein content of regular yogurts. And, because of its thicker, creamier texture, it is a great substitute for higher-fat ingredients including mayonnaise, cream in pasta sauces, sour cream, milk in smoothies, dips, and much more (for some ideas, check out this simplemost.com article). Here we offer a delicious buttermilk ranch dressing recipe from bonappetit.com featuring Greek yogurt – perfect as a dip, salad dressing or topping.
- ¾ cup whole-milk plain Greek yogurt
- ⅔ cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped chives
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, finely grated
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon mustard powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- Kosher salt
- Whisk yogurt, buttermilk, mayonnaise, chives, lemon juice, garlic, oregano, pepper, mustard powder, and onion powder in a medium bowl; season with salt. Chill at least 20 minutes to let flavors meld before serving.
Note: You can make it a day ahead. Cover and keep chilled.LATEST POSTS