Why You Should Give Peas a Chance
Peas are something special – light and delicate, the perfect spring legume. They’re also very healthy, boasting a wide range of vitamins and minerals (C, K, B vitamins) plus manganese, phosphorus, and protein with excellent anti-inflammatory properties.
Courtesy of sunset.com, check out this simple and delicious Risi e Bisi dish (a fancy way of saying rice and peas). It’s a perfect complement to grilled chicken.
Risi e Bisi
Ingredients (Makes 6 servings)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups long-grain white rice (see Notes)
2 1/4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 1/2 cups fresh or thawed frozen peas
1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
Freshly ground black pepper
1. Put olive oil and butter in a 10-in. frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook until butter melts.
2. Add garlic and salt and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes.
3. Add rice and cook, stirring, until rice is opaque.
4. Add broth, stir, and turn heat to high. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer undisturbed while rice absorbs liquid, about 15 minutes (then remove cover to check).
5. Remove cover, quickly add peas (leave peas on top, do not stir), and return cover. Take off heat and let sit 5 minutes.
6. Remove cover, add parsley, and fluff with a fork. Serve hot, sprinkled with pepper to taste.LATEST POSTS